Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Moon Day

This morning after my yoga practice and my meditation, I realized it was a "Moon Day".

Full moon through the palm tree in El Salvador
Oh Nooooooo!!! BAD Yogi! There's no asana practice on a "Moon Day".

Typically, when there is a full or new moon, you take a little holiday from your normal daily yoga practice. Some people still DO practice but there is much debate on the subject.
I'm not getting into all of that. But it got me thinking. Can you still practice Yoga on a "Moon Day"?

As I was meditating and setting my intention, I really thought about kindness.
Lifted from Andrew's Facebook.
My teacher, Andrew Eppler, taught me many things.
Sanskrit, postures, anatomy, etc.
But one of his many recurring themes was "be kind".
(Side note-my mother tried to teach me the same thing but I didn't always listen to her, but now I am, so thanks Mom).

BE KIND.  
Such Simple Words. Yet so hard to fulfill.

Do you have any idea how hard that is? I used to think I was soooooo very kind and nice and sweet. (BUT DO NOT ASK MY BROTHER ABOUT THIS!) Until I began to really exam myself. Maybe I'm not as kind as I thought. Does everyone feel like this? Do we really even think about it that much? Or do we just power through our daily lives with no real thought about how we treat others, or treat ourselves for that matter?

Anyways, I try to be conscientious of it and today in particular. So I sent a text to my neighbor, who I haven't seen in a while to check on her.
And there it was...her beautiful words, "how kind of you to ask". (That counts, right?)

So yeah.
   I practiced yoga today.
      I practiced being kind.
It's called practice for a reason.

I think that the powers that be. God, Guruji, the moon, my mother, would all approve. I'm a work in progress, but I'll keep on practicing.






1 comment:

  1. Love your neighbor's response. One of my New Year's Resolutions was to be intentional about doing at least one kind act a day.It keeps an awareness on kindness and makes you look for ways to make others' days better. I'm sure I missed some days, but (as you say) it's a work in progress!

    ReplyDelete